ExpressVPN is hands down the best VPN out there right now. From the coding and user interface to the customer service, it’s way better than any other VPN we’ve tried. Privacy-wise, it’s top-notch too. Plus, it unblocked almost every streaming site we could think of on the internet, and the connection speeds were super fast. You might be wondering why it’s so expensive, and some people might think it’s too steep, but you’re getting the best VPN around.
- Lots of different servers and locations to choose from
- Easy to use, powerful apps for millions of devices
- Lightway protocol provides remarkable throughput
- A top-notch support team
- New features like Keys and Aircove
- 30 day moneyback guarantee
- It’s way more expensive than some of the other options out there
- Great VPN, but there’s not much more you can do to protect your privacy
Prominent Features Of ExpressVPN
The following are some of the prominent features of ExpressVPN.
- Price: ExpressVPN has three different VPN plans to choose from: a $12.95 monthly rolling plan, a $9.99 six-month plan, and a $99.95 year-long plan. The year-long plan is the most popular, with a free three-month trial that costs $6.67 per month. If you don’t cancel your 15-month plan, the price will go up to $119.95 a month, which is about $9.75 a month. ExpressVPN lets you pay with a variety of payment methods, like PayPal, credit cards, Bitcoin, and AliPay, as well as Yandex Money and WebMoney. It’s easy to cancel and your money will be refunded within 30 days.
- Free Trial: The free 7-day trial period is available in the Android or iOS version of the VPN app. The 30-day Money-back Guarantee allows you to try out any plan for as long as you want without any risk. However, you can only claim this chargeback once, and you can’t claim it again.
- Privacy: ExpressVPN is a secure Virtual Private Network (VPN) that utilizes high-level encryption techniques such as AES- 256-CBC and HMAC to encrypt data in real-time, as well as a high-level RSA certificate. Additionally, ExpressVPN provides Perfect Forward Secrecy (PFS) which provides a new session key for each session every 60 minutes for enhanced security. ExpressVPN utilizes obfuscated servers as a China VPN to circumvent regional VPN blocks. However, the website is currently blocked in China, and users should download the ExpressVPN app prior to visiting the website. The Android application has been certified by ioXt, which ensures that the software design is safe and secure. ExpressVPN has been subject to numerous independent audits in the years 2022 and 2023 and the audit reports are accessible to anyone.
- Logs: ExpressVPN says it’s all about privacy. It doesn’t keep logs of your connection or activity, but it does keep a few things like the date you connected, the server you chose, the data you transferred, and your client’s version number. Those logs aren’t used to link things you do on the internet to people you know. Plus, ExpressVPN’s based in the UK Virgin Islands, so there’s no law that says companies have to hand over data to either the UK or the US. They’ve also been audited by a company called PwC, and their report is free to read.
- Speed: ExpressVPN’s in-house protocol, Lightway, delivered impressive speeds of about 750Mbps on our 1Gbps uncontested connection. OpenVPN’s protocol delivers 250Mbps, though it was slightly faster on our last round of tests. ExpressVPN isn’t the fastest VPN out there, but it’s also not the slowest. It’s in the middle of the pack when it comes to peak speeds. That’s because, thanks to widespread adoption of the WireGuard protocol, a lot of VPNs are now offering faster speeds than they did a few years ago. Survey Shark and NordVPN outperform ExpressVPN using their WireGuard based protocols.
- Streaming: ExpressVPN is one of the most popular VPNs that allows you to unblock streaming content on a variety of popular services, including Netflix, BBC, iPlayer, and Amazon Prime, as well as Disney Plus. On the provider’s website, you’ll find a list of all the services it unblocks, which is one of its direct selling points. In our testing, we found ExpressVPN to be one of the few VPNs that allowed us to get a clean sweep on all the services we tested, including the popular BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime. Despite Netflix’s recent changes to how it detects and blocks IP addresses, ExpressVPN is still one of the top VPNs out there. The provider’s support team is very helpful when it comes to diagnosing and resolving streaming issues. Another great feature of ExpressVPN is its Smart DNS function, called MediaStreamer. This function allows you to switch your location and watch geo filtered content on devices that don’t support VPNs.
- Torrenting: ExpressVPN is a great VPN for torrenting because it’s P2P sharing-friendly and has great privacy and security features. It also supports Bitcoin and doesn’t have any activity logs. It also has split tunneling, which means traffic from certain apps can be routed through the VPN, but other apps won’t be affected. Plus, it doesn’t have any data transfer caps or activity logs, so it’s a great choice if you’re looking for a torrenting VPN.
- Installation: ExpressVPN makes it super easy to set up a VPN. You need to sign up and create an account, and then the website will figure out what your system OS is and point you to the right one. You can then download another version from the menu bar. Once you’ve installed the app, the website will ask you for an activation code so you don’t have to worry about logging in. The website also has links to the google play store, the Android VPN files and QR codes to set up the VPN. If you want to use another client, Express can provide you with their OVPN configuration file. ExpressVPN has a bunch of official apps for Fire TV sticks and other devices that have their own app stores.
- Desktop Apps: ExpressVPN is a straightforward VPN app with a smart location and an easy-to-use on/off button. It’s easy to use on both Windows and Mac, and the interface is super smooth. You can choose from different servers, pick your favorites, and connect to the last three locations. It also has a built in speed test and supports protocols like Lightway VPN, OpenVPN UDP and OpenVPN TCP, among others. Windows users can use split tunneling, while Mac users can get IPv6 leak protection and the new Threat Manager. It also blocks ads, trackers and sites with malware-infected content. Both apps are great and easy to use.
- Browser Extension: ExpressVPN’s browser extension is available for Chrome and Firefox and provides a complete VPN in your browser. This means that you don’t have to switch windows to change your settings. However, it does enforce HTTPS Everywhere, block HTML5 geo-location from revealing your location, and block WebRTC leaks in your browser. The extension doesn’t do everything that the app does, but it’s a great addition if you want to watch blocked Netflix shows or check overseas pricing. A lot of people use Chrome VPN extensions instead of installing a real VPN client on their computer.
- Aircove Router: ExpressVPN’s Aircove is a custom-built WIFI 6 router with features such as device groups, compatibility protection, family restrictions, and the ability to bypass the 8 device limit. The Aircove router is an audited hardware product from Cure53 and is currently available for purchase on Amazon at $189.
- Customer Support: VPN providers are starting to offer more and more customer service, which can be really helpful for people who don’t have a lot of technical know-how. For example, if you’re having server issues or losing streaming access, ExpressVPN has got you covered. They have the best FAQ articles out of any VPN, and they cover everything from connection repair to setting up a VPN, canceling your account, and setting up MediaStreamer. Plus, you can get real-time answers right away. If you can’t resolve the issue on your own, ExpressVPN has a 24/7 chat that can help you out. Plus, they can give you tips on where to find the best VPN servers to get into blocked Netflix locations.
ExpressVPN is a highly recommended VPN due to its dependable connections, privacy-enhancing features, and global content streaming capabilities. Additionally, it is a dependable VPN due to its kill switch and automatic connection. ExpressVPN has a long history of user protection and has been audited numerous times, making it a dependable choice. Nevertheless, ExpressVPN is not the most cost-effective VPN, does not offer a comprehensive software suite, and is not available on Linux, nor does it have a graphical user interface. Nevertheless, it is a pleasant experience and is highly recommended to regular users.